Destination Darwin - different in every sense for business events
There’s just something about Darwin’s relaxed atmosphere and warm tropical climate that makes it a compelling destination to host conference and incentive groups. The cosmopolitan capital of Darwin is Australia’s closest gateway to Asia. A stepping stone to some of Australia’s most inspiring landscapes, untouched wilderness and cultural heritage, Darwin and the Top End leave a lasting impression on all who visit.
Things to do – spectacular scenery, technical touring, nature-based experiences and cultural connections
- Gain a greater perspective of Darwin and the Top End on a breathtaking scenic helicopter flight; on a leisurely sunset cruise; or onboard an exhilarating airboat ride on Darwin Harbour.
- Get the blood pumping with some close reptilian encounters at Crocosaurus Cove in Darwin City or out on the Adelaide River onboard a jumping crocodile cruise.
- For an educational nature-based experience, consider a marine tour into turtle habitat and mangrove-lined waterways or an eco-friendly segway tour of the Darwin Botanical Gardens. Further afield, the World Heritage Listed Kakadu and Nitmiluk national parks are excellent pre and post touring destinations, which are both within a day’s drive or a quick flight from Darwin.
- For a VIP experience, Mindil Beach Sunset Markets offers business and incentive groups access to an exclusive sunset viewing area and $20 Mindil Money for guests to spend at any of the 200 enticing market stalls.
- For military buffs and technical touring, Darwin boasts The Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Bombing of Darwin Harbour Facility (which also doubles as a unique function venue), the Darwin Military Museum Precinct (which includes the Defence of Darwin Experience) and the National Critical Care and Trauma Response Centre.
- Cultural connections abound including opportunities to view and purchase authentic Aboriginal art from Mbantua Art Gallery in Darwin City and from Top Didj Cultural Experience and Art Gallery near Katherine. Pudakul Aboriginal Cultural Tours and TurtleBack Cultural Services offer bespoke cultural tours and authentic Aboriginal cultural experiences.
Delicious dining experiences and one-of-a-kind offsite venues
For the ultimate fine dining experience for your business event, you can’t go past Darwin’s most prestigious restaurants, Char and Pee Wee’s at the Point. Both offer a la carte menus showcasing delicious local cuisine, impressive wine lists and award-winning chefs. While Wharf One delivers absolute waterfront views in a relaxed and casual setting, catering for groups from 20 up to 700 guests.
Karen Sheldon Catering is a Territory icon with over 40 years of business and catering experience in the Top End. Not only are they the ‘go to’ caterer in Darwin for events big and small, but they also run the highly successful Future Stars Indigenous Employment Program, providing training to help close the gap on Indigenous economic disadvantage.
For a more rural and rustic experience, Crazy Acres Mango Farm and Cafe offers ample space for business groups to enjoy homemade food and drinks under a canopy of mango trees, while Katherine Outback Experience combines a delicious meal with an outback show featuring working dog demonstrations, horse handling and live music.
Impeccable conference facilities and support services
Darwin Convention Centre, with stunning waterfront views, is just minutes from Darwin CBD. This world class facility features flexible room configurations and a range of multi-purpose event spaces. In addition to this facility, several nearby hotels including three Hilton Group properties, Mindil Beach Casino & Resort, Oaks Elan Darwin and two Mantra properties also boast state of the art conference and event facilities. And finally, The Darwin Entertainment Centre conveniently located near popular hotels and restaurants, also caters for business and incentive groups, providing a range of conference facilities and technical support.
A relaxed setting for a successful event
Darwin and the Top End are an event organiser’s dream. Scenic coastal views, tropical weather, an abundance of world class facilities and countless combinations of unique pre and post touring options. While the choices may seem overwhelming, help is at hand. Contact the NT Business Events for local knowledge and advice on hosting your next business event in Darwin.